Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Six degrees of seperation in action!

Soooo...

A long time ago (okay, really only six years but it feels like a lifetime ago sometimes) I was living in Jersey chillin' with some fellow nannies and 5 of us became pretty close.
Viola. Ashley, Joni, Kelli, Mindee and Karen. Kelli and I weren't members when it all started, but Joni, Mindee and Karen were all very vital players in the process that changed that. That God knows how to multi-task, I'm telling you! We actually only all lived in Jersey together (Karen and I even started out on the same dang street!) for a few months but in those few months we shared the sweet spiritual experiences that led to Kelli and me getting baptized.

Shortly after that sweet day, nannies started moving on to get married, finish school or just get away from lousy East Coast employers. Flash forward five years--I've been home from my mission for five months or so and I'm sick of missing all of my friends, so I take Labor Day weekend to go out West and visit them. And since I'm out there anyway, I decide what's another few hours of driving to hang out with Kel for a little while? So I drove up to her in Pocatello that Saturday night and spent Sunday with her. After church there was a gathering with some of her family's friends, including a couple just like Kelli and Scott attending ISU and expecting their first in a month or so, a little girl. We girls talked for a while around the kitchen table while the boys were...I don't remember what they were doing because I was having a dang good time! Kelli and her husband were good friends with this particular couple, they lived in the same building in an apartment on the floor beneath them and the wife taught the Relief Society lesson at church. It was a really nice day for all of us and I headed out of town early in the evening to make another pit stop before hoping back to Chicago.

Fast forward another year--I've married Grant and Kelli and I and this girl have all started blogs of our cute little families and we all have links posted to the blogs of other friends and family members who blog. Turns out, that super nice, super cute girl I sat with around Kelli's table last year is now totally my in-law! She left a comment on our blog mentioning it and I couldn't immediately figure out who she was until I navigated to her blog and saw her picture. When it came up Grant confirmed, "That's my cousin!" and even before he announced that I could see the family resemblance, and I have no doubt that our little girl will have similarities to their adorable little one.

I even clicked over to some of our other family members' blogs and was really excited to see the links of both our blog and my newly discovered in-laws' posted in the list together. Whoduv' thunk it?

When I told Grant's mom she simply said, "See? You were supposed to be in our family."

It's a dang small world! Or small church, however you want to look at it...

How neat!

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

How incredible. What a coincidence or more. Nicole's a doll. Glad you already know her and like her. Love you.

Kristina said...

We LOVE Nicole. She really is one of the sweetest people I know. And we LOVE you to. You are also very sweet :) We are soooooo glad that you are part of the family. I agree with Jackie. It was meant to be :)

Laura said...

Oh how fun!!! Nicole really is an angel, isn't she! So are you coming to the reunion next summer? You guys can swap baby stories by then!