Friday, October 17, 2008

Mighty good man...

I just wanted to take a few minutes to say some things about a really amazing guy I know. I happen to be married to him. :)

From the moment he proposed, he has made it very clear that he takes his role as a husband very seriously and it's made him a great one. A pretty amazing one, actually, though he has always made great effort to be helpful whenever he's around. His attitude about marriage and his role in it has been a significant factor of the foundation we've built on that has made ours an incredibly happy one. He especially goes out of his way when someone's not feeling well...which is something I've really come to adore about him as I've carried his child! I could go on and on about the things he does that make my life easier and more comfortable, not just as a pregnant lady but as his wife and the object of his affection.

He takes dang good care of his little family and I really want him to know how much it means to me.

This week he started a new job downtown, doing the very un-Farns schedule of getting up at 6:50am and putting in 8 hours at an office. I wake up with him because I know it's probably easier for him to get up if he doesn't have to alone and to get us on the same schedule. I make him lunch while he gets ready and sit down and chat with him while he eats breakfast. The first day we got up and had enough time for me to make him pancakes but he decided he'd rather have cereal or a shake and the extra 10 minutes in bed. :) I walk with him the couple of blocks to the train to spend a few precious minutes with him before he leaves for the day and kiss him goodbye before he mounts the platform to the El...at least for now. That might be more challenging with an infant...and when I'm 17 months pregnant in the freezing Chicago winter.

So this is my public announcement of how grateful I am to Grant for all he does. He'll go out of his way to make you feel in all ways comfortable in his home, he changes tires when potholes reek havoc, he bugs you to take care of things that don't affect him but he knows will make your life easier if you do them, he hacksaws through U-locks holding bikes hostage when--ahem--someone has lost the keys to it, he fixes furniture and a million other things to go out of his way to be just an all-around swell guy. I know there are things he'd rather be doing with his time than slave away programming downtown, not the least of which would be sleep in and hang with me. But he's doing it provide for his family and he does it cheerfully.

Most of all, in word and deed, he makes me feel incredibly Loved by him every single day. If he's half as good at loving his daughter as he is at loving his wife this little girl is going to grow up convinced she's the Princess of the whole wide world...

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it many more times yet, but to quote the lyrics of Salt 'N Peppa, "What a man, what a man, what a man--what a mighty good man. Yes, he is."

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Awwwwwww!! And your appreciation goes a long way toward making it worthwhile to him. You are a sweet and wonderful wife to him.

Seth said...

Sounds like Grant is becoming "handy". I still can't fix things or be handy.

:(

But ya, he's the Man.

Ashley said...

I'll bet you're more handy than you think, Seth. And if not, you make up for it by being a grilling master!

Kristina said...

You are both so blessed to have each other! We are happy for you.

Seth is getting handier all the time. And he's pretty good with a screwdriver :P

I used to take Seth to the train every morning before we got our second car. It was always sad waking Simeon up in the morning but it was nice to have the family time before he went to school. I know Seth misses having that good start to his day. I still try to get up with him though, even if I go back to bed later :P

Laura said...

What a great husband, Grant! What a sweet, appreciative wife, Ashley! You two are wonderful!!!