Friday, October 10, 2008

It's ALIIIIIIVE!!


*Disclaimer--this is not my stomach, it's just a picture I found to use for this post*

Okay, so we don't have feet imprinting from the inside out--but something SO cool happened last night!

I was talking to Grant's med school brother Seth who mentioned in passing how cool it was when he could start seeing their baby move from the outside while his wife was pregnant. I was very intrigued with this idea and started to wonder when/if we could actually see our little girl move. I mean, she's growing so quickly. She already weighs a whole pound and I can definitely feel a difference in the movements I'm feeling now and what I was feeling at first. She's totally getting bigger and stronger. A few days ago Grant was even able to feel her just with his hand (he usually puts his cheek on my belly) when she randomly started kicking waaaay up where I didn't even know my uterus had expanded to above my belly button.

So last night while Grant was playing with our new camera (yes, we bought a new camera even though both of us have great point-and-shoots we're having a dang kid and we decided before we even got married to blow some cash on a new camera before our first child was born) which turns out, only one person can do at a time. I had just laid down which meant that the disco ball in my womb turns on and baby starts to party like it's 1999. So, thinking about what Seth had said I pulled up my shirt and started watching my belly.

Turns out, you can totally see your own heartbeat on your stomach--neat hunh? So first I focused on watching that to get used to watching the rhythm of both that and my breath. But then, she started moving and I could totally see it! All of a sudden I'd see completely noticeable bumps from the inside! Some of them even knocked my pajamas. I kept saying to Grant how neat it was and finally convinced him to set the camera aside for just two minutes and watched.

He was skeptical at first, but then we had a HUGE one. He perked up with excitement and plunged his face down to settle it on my belly so he could feel her move. Which, was very effective and he felt her whole disco routine right on his cheek. Actually, she kicked him so hard at one point I saw his head jerk up off my belly.

It was the coooolest thing! I was tempted to take a video to post...but because by the time I got that far in my thinking she had calmed down a little and the inside bubbles on my skin were happening farther and farther apart and I knew it would take a while to get a perfect little video of it. And, let's be honest...my belly ain't the sexiest thing in the world even when it's not fat and pregnant-aited out. I decided to spare you.

So, now I'm much more happy about pregnancy. She's so active and I can feel it all the time and even see it sometimes. I'm also really glad that Grant can feel it too. This is totally the miracle of Life stuff everybody was talking about.

And I've decided that even though it makes me look like a big weenie and a whiner (which...I actually am, but pregnancy exacerbates everything from my bra size to my personality quirks) I'm glad that I'm so open about my complaints. I'm glad because every time I am, someone who's had a baby speaks up and says, "That totally happened to me! Here's my story..." And then I feel sane again.

So thanks to all my Mommy friends for sharing your horrors--I mean joys--about bringing your own miracles in! It helps me out a bunch to know that I'm not the only one!!

6 comments:

Seth said...

Its just the funnest things isn't it? I loved loved loved loved loved feeling the same thing on Kristina's belly. I would even try to poke the foot (or whatever it was) and try to get a reaction so we could be "communicating"

Fun stuff, good times.

Congratulations you guys!

Seth said...

Oh, by the way, that picture you posted totally scare the dickens out of me until I learned that it wasn't you. I was like " ...WHOOOOOAAAAAA! She has a little vampire baby in there...so strong!"

I have never seen anything that that before.

Danielle said...

I never, ever got tired of feeling and seeing my babies kick! Even Caleb got bored with it after a while (and especially after 3 kids) But I was always tempted to stop and notify everyone in the room, "Did ya see that? Did ya see my belly just move and wiggle like that? My baby is kicking!" I just think it's amazing. It does start to make up for the pains of pregnancy.

Has she gotten hiccups yet? The first time it's kind of fun. After that, it's just annoying. :)

Scott and Kel said...

So that was the coolest thing ever the first time I saw Haddyn move from the outside and it remained totally cool through my whole pregnancy, but not so much for Scott. I would always tell him "Come feel this, Did you see that?" and after a while, I guess they would all be the same for him, he couldn't FEEL it! Anyway, the best was every night when we went to bed I would cuddle up to Scott's back and Haddyn would go all Kung-Fu to his back!

Ditto to the hiccups thing from above, by the end when she would get them at least twice a day I was like "Enough of the hiccups man!"

This is such a fun time...thanks for keeping me "in" on stuff!! Hope you're journaling!!

Kristina said...

I don't think ever got tired of Simeon kicking. He used to stay up at night long after I'd gone to sleep and feel my tummy (so he told me). I loved to feel it too, but I did get a little bit tired of him kicking me in the bladder. ha ha, just kidding. We are so excited for you. You are hitting the most exciting part of pregnancy!

Unknown said...

WOW! Awesome picture, I can't believe you caught such a good picture!
Okay so I just figured something out! I saw your blog on the Moultons blog and I was wondering how they knew my cousin, Grant. Then I remembered Ashley came to our church meetings one Sunday when I was teaching and we talked for a while afterwords (I was pregnant then). I thought you looked familiar Ashley! Wow, small world!