Friday, October 3, 2008

Babies on the brain...

I've had babies on the brain for quite a long time. I've always been inclined toward children and actually one of the reasons I pursued being a nanny was a love for having close bonds with children. I really miss all three of those kids and their unique personalities. Just before I left on my mission I was having lunch with a childhood friend and during our conversation I mentioned to her a change I was noticing in how I saw babies. "It used to be that when I saw a cute baby I'd go, 'Awww' and think 'I want one someday'. Now I see one and think 'I want one now'." She nodded and stated of her own experience, "It's true. There really is a biological clock ticking."

We were 23 at the time.

Ever since I found out I was pregnant, it's put a whole new spin on my perspective toward motherhood. First, it's just a little weird that suddenly my body is serving it's unique purpose. That Grant and I were able to put a baby together quite amazes me. Neither of us had any reason to believe that we couldn't...but it's still a little shocking to us that we did.

And since I found out I was pregnant looking at babies suddenly took on a whole new meaning in and of itself. I stopped sighing inside longing for one and realized with a little smile to myself that I was growing one.

Grant's attitude about it all really helps me look forward to it. A couple of weeks ago he was sitting across the room scrutinizing one of his tarantulas and I commented on the flow of thought I was having. "We're married." "Yup." "And. We're having a baby...that's so weird." He looked at me with a content gaze and told me, "That's amazing." I almost cried on the spot.

But...between the two of us I think I definitely think about her more than he does. I mean, I can't go too long without a physical reminder of what's going on. Whether it's walking past the mirror and noticing my bump, feeling her squirm around in there (most actively just after I've settled into bed to go to sleep) or taking my supplements with my meal I get reminded all the time that I'm pregnant. All that stuff is less noticeable to Grant, y'know?

Finding out we're having a girl also puts a new spin on things. Going through possible names has been an interesting endeavor...good thing we have until Valentine's Day to figure it out.

I also stop conversations with comments like, "Oh NO! We're having a GIRL! She's going to grow up and boys are going to want to DATE her! Uuuuuugh."

And we wonder which one of us God is playing a joke on by giving us a girl first. It could be me. I was sure He'd give me five boys since I've spent so much time complaining about them. It could be him, though. God certainly does have a sense of humor.

But of course, the overwhelming feeling we have is sheer delight. We're not just married, we're having a baby. And we're not just having a baby, we're having a daughter.

We can not wait to meet her!

6 comments:

Jacqueline said...

And we can't wait to meet her either. Such a miracle to be a part of isn't it?

Beckie said...

That was a really sweetpost! I love having little girls. All the fun little clothes and hair stuff and shoes...it can go on and on.
You are going to be a great mom - you already are. And if your little girl is like most little girls she will be a daddies girl!

my baby is turning one at the end of this month and i was looking for birthday ideas and came across a blog that had food ideas from Food Network. They had these spider caramels (like turtles) but in the shape of spiders and I thought of your spiders and had to share it. I don't have an e-mail address so I am totally stalking you on your blog! (hope you don't mind!)here is the link that I found the spider treats on
http://www.just-spotted.com/2008/10/perfect-halloween-menu.html

Seth said...

I was exactly the same...except that before Kristina got pregnant I didn't pay much attention to babys. But after she got pregnant, I started asking everybody about how their pregnancies were and what labor was like (actually I asked strangers some very personal questions).

But when Simeon was born, I started paying SOOO much attention to ALL babies. During Priesthood, these 2 men had their infants with them and I just stared at them for the whole meeting.

Its amazing. I also love showing off pictures of Simeon.

I can't wait to see our children playing together and learning to share. :)

Ashley said...

Dude I am SO stoked to see our kids play together!

Kristina said...

Picking out names is so fun! We tried picturing out son (with better results than my previous attempts) and we decided that if he looked more like my dad or my family he would be Simeon and if he looked exactly like a little Seth (which I was totally sure would happen) he would be Caleb. Well when he was born he looked quite a bit like my dad so we named him Simeon :) Of course I spent A LOT more time pouring over names than Seth did :)

Laura said...

Little girls are the BOMB!!! When I see rowdy little boys, I think smugly how I love my cute little girls. (Of course, now that I say that - we'll have a boy next. Bring it on! Mike is dying to have some more testosterone around here. Even though he secretly loves all his girls adoring him!) It's not a sense of humor that you're having a girl, ... its the BEST! (Please remind me that I said that when my girls are teenagers, kay?)