Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Photographic Exploits

By the way, yes, my posts will always use a serifed font and Ashley's will always use a sans serif font. That way you can more easily tell who's writing...not that it's that hard.

Anyway...

We are officially kicked into high gear with the camera now. Specifically, our new lens came in. Oh, yes. Let the bokeh flow. I woke Ashley up to take a first picture with it (no flash used, and it was very dark inside).


So much bokeh, in such a small room. The new lens is great and sharp and it blurs the background like a champ but it does have one fatal flaw: it's mortal. In other words, it doesn't have optical image stabilization. Canon doesn't make any prime lenses with optical image stabilization. I don't know why, actually. But if they did it would probably be out of our price range anyway. So we're going to get a dang tripod.

And then I figured out how to make my own remote control for the camera by splicing a spare hands free cell phone cable and some cable for...I think a TV. It works like a champ


(The reason you can recognize my face is because this picture was taken using the old lens. Insufficient bokeh.)

Actually, Ashley doesn't love my invention. I don't know what she has against it. My first version was made of exposed wires that looked really scary. We're going to get a real remote control--like, without wires--for it soon.

It's actually a very cheap item, but I say if you can rig your own...

EDIT: We decided our second pick for this picture was too cute not to post. This is the face we make when we say "Oooooooooh." Which it turns out we do frequently.

8 comments:

Jacqueline said...

How clever you are making a remote. Is there anything you can't do? I hadn't noticed the serif difference. It is nice to know.

Jacqueline said...

By the way, she wakes up prettier than most people can get.

Ashley said...

Aww. Thanks, Jackie.

And I have nothing against your home-made mechanical wonder. I actually quite admire your ability to fashion it which I repeatedly and emphatically expressed multiple times, thankyouverymuch.

Seth said...

SOOOOO MUUUUCH BOOOOOKEH!

I look for any opportunity to say bokeh now that I have learned it.


I think I'm gonna start using it as a slang word:

"You're lucky I don't smack you in the bokeh!"

"Play some music and do the BOKEH!"

"Don't mess wit da BoKEH!"

That last one would look good on a door mat or on a T-shirt.

Ashley said...

I bet you'd double your fun if you started saying it with a Schwarzenegger accent.

Seth said...

WOW, you are totally right! Its WAY better with a Schwarzenneger accent!

Danielle said...

You sound very smart when you talk about cameras. More so than you normally do, even. I got lost when you said bokeh. I mean, did you make that up? Is that for real?

Danielle said...

Nevermind. Wikipedia says you know what you're talking about... even if I don't.