Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kids say the darndest things...

Grant and I were at Target yesterday to pick up a few things and while we were cruising the isles, a little boy about two and a half was drifting from his mother and wasn't paying attention to where he was going.

His mother noticed he was about to bump into me and said to him, "Be careful! That lady has a baby in her belly so we need to watch out."

The child stopped and stared at me in amazement. "A baby?" he asked.

I smiled (part because he was a cutie and part because I was relieved to look pregnant), "Yeah, there's a baby growing in my belly."

"I want to see!" He was delighted with this concept.

"Well, we can't see her right now, she won't be born until February--right on Valentine's Day." Though it didn't occur to me until a few minutes after this all happened that a two and a half year old doesn't remember when Valentine's Day is...

"Can't see her?" he asked, confused and almost a little sad. The whole time he split the focus of his eyes between my bump and my eyes.

"Nope, we can't see her yet, but she's right here," I told him, rubbing my swollen belly.

"Can I feel her?" he asked boldly.

I grinned again and nodded. He took the remaining step toward me and pushed both of his hands as high up as he could against the bottom of my belly before running away announcing to his mother, "I sqaushed her!"

Grant and I both chuckled.

He also let me drag him into the infants section to look at baby girl clothes--I'm pretty sure it's the first store we've been in since we found out it's going to be a girl. At first he protested, telling me "We don't have a baby yet." I puffed my belly to him and declared, "We have more than half of one!"

He actually even started showing me things. Though I think that may have partly to been to see if he could make me cry on site. However, he did seem a little taken with the tiny hats and noted, "Our girl is going to need that since she'll be born in the winter." Yeah, especially a Chicago winter.

I was thinking about the little boy for a long time after we got home. I wonder if he ever asked his mother, "But how did the baby get in her belly?" He was the younger of the children she had with her so I'm sure he hasn't seen his own mother pregnant with a sibling.

That will be an interesting conversation for them...

4 comments:

Seth said...

hehe...Kristina was always trying to go into baby stores and baby sections when it was still very early. I'm pretty sure she wanted to go look at baby clothes before we even got a pregnancy test :)

I had to be the grumpy old man who kept her in check.

Ashley said...

I didn't want to BUY anything, I just wanted to LOOK.

Kristina said...

Oh and I'm so jealous that you get to shop for baby GIRL clothes! I have fun finding cute things for Simeon but baby girl clothes are the CUTEST! Sometimes I go look at the girl clothes anyway (don't tell Seth) ;)

Danielle said...

Your posts lately have been so funny and adorable and they just make me go, "Awwwwww." I keep meaning to comment, but inevitably someone starts screaming for me.

I love perusing through the baby clothes too. It's hard to believe they come that small. Plus, I don't think the reality of what's about to happen comes until about halfway through the pushing stage of labor when you suddenly think, "Holy crud, I'm gonna have a baby!" And even then it doesn't really sink in until you're actually holding her. And then you pinch yourself for weeks to see if you're dreaming or not. Having a baby is just something else!!