Sunday, October 26, 2008

Little Secret

Now, to the naked eye, this might just look like another picture of me and my much-discussed pregnant belly. The viewer might think I'm simply smiling from the joy of impending motherhood.

And it might be that, but it's also so very much more.

There is a reason I'm smiling and it's not just because I'm tickled pink to become a mommy in a few months (and despite all my moaning and complaining, I am actually happy and excited for our little girl to arrive). I'm smiling because I was reminded today yet again that there is a God in Heaven. No, I'm not going all evangelical on my non-Mormon friends and family, I'm just telling you the facts.

You know how I know there's a God? I know because sometimes an idea pops into my head and I know that it didn't come from me--I just ain't that smart on my own.

I have put off buying actual maternity clothes for quite some time. And thanks to a wardrobe stocked with low-rise pants and extra long shirts, I can get away with it fairly easily, modestly and comfortably.

However, Sundays are a different issue. Though at first it was fine, now when I wear this awesomely cute and goes-with-everything skirt I have to pull the dang thing all the way over my belly to get the zipper up which means it hits my legs a lot higher than I'd like. It's not immodest, I just don't think I have very good legs so I like to keep em covered.

While I was in the bathroom after Sunday school and before Relief Society I noticed that my skirt sat just where I wanted it if I gave up on the zipper when it was about halfway up.

I examined my outfit. I wore a long, tight-fitting black undershirt and my loose maternity blouse. At first I whimpered when I noticed how comfy it was unzipped, but then God hit me upside the head with a brilliant idea. And then I just smoothed out those shirts on top of my unzipped skirt to see how it looked.

So that is why I'm smiling in this picture and have been since that moment in the bathroom. You totally can't even tell my skirt is gaping open right underneath my hand because it's shamelessly unzipped. I have been so dang comfortable all day long!

No, I'm not smart enough to have figured out "Just don't zip it up because no one will be able to see it anyway" on my own. We've got a (Mormon) friend who commented here that he knows there's a God and He loves us and wants us to be happy because of elliptical machines. It's totally true, and this is another example.

This smile is the look of sweet, sweet relief.

8 comments:

Jacqueline said...

You are looking cutely pregnant.

Danielle said...

Niiiice. And you look darn cute too. I had to buy more maternity clothes this last time b/c the maternity clothes I had were winter stuff and stuff for work. (I was teaching when I was pregnant w/ Justin) But I found a lot of stuff at Ross that was pretty cheap. They don't have a huge selection (at least at the one by us) but if I went in every once in a while I could always find a couple new shirts and built my new maternity wardrobe that way. Too bad I gained waaay too much weight and outgrew all the first stuff I bought. *sigh* But I am down almost 40 lbs already since Grant was born! Woohoo! Just too many to go still.

Ashley said...

Jackie. I love you.

Thanks for the shopping tip, Danielle I'll have to check that out. FORTY pounds since Grant was born?! I bow down to you, he's not even a month old!

Laura said...

And start looking for some flip-flops or extra wide shoes cuz pretty soon sweet relief will mean shoes that don't pinch those ever swollen feet! (hee,hee)

You look cute, btw.

Michelle said...

A couple maternity shirts and some rubberbanded jeans will take you far my friend. Just loop the rubberband through the buttonhole, and slip it around the button, and WaLa! Old Navy has super cute maternity clothes for CHEAP if you get them on clearance. Oldnavy.com is my best friend during pregnancy!

Kristina said...

I totally did that! I had these black slacks that I loved (still have them) but they were one of the first things I outgrew when I was pregnant. They kind of have a built on belt thing so I would leave them unbuttoned and unzipped and I would tie the belt as best I could. When I outgrew the belt I stopped wearing them. I'm pretty sure I did it with a skirt too :P
You do look super cute BTW

Unknown said...

That is such a cute maternity top. You really can get away with not wearing maternity clothes for a long time with the low rise pants and long shirts, that's what I usually did. But I remember one Sunday I was wearing one of my regular skirts and when I sat down I felt like it was cutting off circulation to my legs, didn't try that again. Oh how great maternity clothes feel in comparison!

Danielle said...

I'm pretty sure most of that 40 lbs was water. I mean, my feet alone are half the size they were a month ago, and there's no way I could lose fat that fast... I don't think. But my weight loss is leveling out. I may have to actually watch what I eat now. (just in time for the holidays *sigh*) I still have a long way to go. I tried on a shirt the other day that was rather loose on me pre-pregnancy-- so I was thinking it might fit me now. Ha ha! I won't fit into anything while I'm nursing.... I could hardly button the darn thing up.