Sunday, September 21, 2008

Our Home!

One of Grant's favorite movies of all time is The Incredibles. A few days ago I heard him reference it as he said, "Y'know how she calls him up at work and she's so excited about how she's unpacked the last box and they are officially moved in and he says that they moved three years ago? I'm starting to feel like that in our apartment."

So...while all of our boxes aren't unpacked, we've got everything in a state of working order that I'm not too ashamed to post. To be perfectly honest, there's really only the extra room left with a bunch of random things I need to organize and find homes for somewhere. I can't take all the credit, it's been a real team effort. Grant did all the huffing and puffing to move furniture and tearing down things he'd built and such. He's put a lot of work into transforming his bachelor pad into our home. So proud!

We really lucked out because basically all of our furniture came from a friend in Grant's department and school. He moved to London and his stuff wasn't worth enough to him to take it with him. When he told Grant he could come have some he kept saying, "It's total garbage, you probably won't want anything, but I'm just throwing it away so if you do want something, you can have it."

Most of what we got was nicer than what we would have bought if we had decided to go shopping.

To save myself lots of headaches I'm not going to post all the Before and After pictures. But I'll still talk about what I did...I'll try to keep it non-confusing.

We'll start our tour in the bedroom. Not because it's the first thing you see when you come in, but because it's where the hugest transformation has taken place.
First, the Farns' old grad student bachelor's bedroom... The site of many good times for our family before the Pollock-Farnsworth merger.

Notice the necessary arrangement of having all of one's possessions in a single space (ie: a piano in a bedroom). Notice the homemade loft bed. Notice the less than stylish although perfectly functional collection of stackable plastic drawers.

But now, Casa de Farnsworth familia!

Well, I know there's a book on the windowsill (turns out I married a vampire who's allergic to light and that is our way of compensating for the light that leaks through because we have to disrupt the black-out curtains for the AC--yes, the black-out curtains) and the wastebasket is full but look! A REAL bed with a headboard and everything! Matching bedside tables AND lamps for them, is that adorable or what?!

And this picture is actually 2 he digitally stitched together. Ladies, not only does he savy in digital photography, he does the dishes, takes out the garbage and waits on me hand and foot. I know, I know. What a man, what a man, what a man, what a mighty good man. Yes, he is.

He used to spend all his time at his computer, but we put the dresser with his clothes in it by the door instead. You know it's his because his fedora-wearing parrot is on it. Mine has body sprays and the Twilight series on it. Mine's also taller because my wardrobe consists of more than a dozen blue oxford shirts and kahkis. I legitimately need the space.

I actually had to put a lot of work into revamping the bedroom closet. No more food storage. Bye-bye laundry detergent. Seasonal clothes and bedding only.

It was so weird as we were lying in bed one night and we realized that our bedroom was just that...the bedroom. We never hang out in there. We only sleep and stash our clothes. We're so old married people, aren't we?

Moving on... Well, the living room is dramatically different as well. Grant hosted manys the scrapbook parties here in this very room. It was basically only furnished with a futon and bookshelves. I don't think I've ever actually seen that little table. He probably found it in the alley and used it for the picture to make the space look more filled than it actually is. You really can't appreciate one of my favorite changes in this room, but just to the right of this doorway on the floor was where they kept his microwave. They actually had a reason for putting in in this room, as the electricity in this place has a very low capacity and when they had the thing in the kitchen the breaker would often blow.

But now...the microwave made its way to the kitchen where it belongs (a simple extension cord does the trick of keeping our circuits happy). We traded in the futon for a leather loveseat and put in the Papa Bear/Mama Bear computer workstation. There's a TV for our occasional Guitar Hero fix.

I've got a weird look on my face because Grant decided to take pictures while I was eating a fried egg sandwich and I have egg yolk dripping on my fingers and chin. Yuck. Glad you can't see it, at least.

The little table is nice so we can pull up a chair and have a place to eat but one problem with this apartment is that there's just no good place to have an actual table and chairs set up.

My biggest pride of the kitchen can't be appreciated in the picture we took. When I moved in, all the dishes were over the stove. The very first thing I did was move them over the sink and put the pots and pans over the stove. It's so satisfying because it makes so much more sense.

And the bathroom really isn't that incredible...but I put in a woman's touch by adding a fabric shower curtain and it makes a world of difference.

The last room is a little embarrassing because it still needs a good deal of attention. It was once the roommate's bedroom but now it's our...everything else room. We're doing pretty well, though. The piano is plugged in, the desk is ready to be organized so it can be our sewing/writing by hand/whatever table. Obviously, we need a bookshelf in there. We're working on it... And it won't take me three years. I've gotten a lot done in three weeks, actually...

But the extra bedroom will come in pretty handy in the not-so-distant future.

After all, we'll need a place for a crib.

The least noticeable but most significant addition to Casa de Farnsworth familia...

We're finally getting around to officially announcing it.

WE'RE PREGNANT! Well, one of us is. Grant likes to stick out his belly and pretend sometimes. But then he can suck it back in. I can't do that anymore. Every time he does I just sigh and think, "Lucky."

It's pretty fun to join the ranks. I've been dying to tell stories of my horrors--I mean joys--of being an expectant mother.

10 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm very impressed with the transformation! Though secretly I hoped Grant would make a cool queen size loft bed... I saw that when he first posted it on his other blog and thought it was really cool. But I suppose a "real" bed is a bit more logical. :)

And CONGRATS offically! That's just about the cutest little fetus I've ever seen. :)

Jacqueline said...

Wow, what a change. His room used to be so crowded and harder to use. The computer/DVD player looks so much better in the front room. The bedroom closet looks like a real closet. Who would have known the bathroom could look that good? Do you still have the futon somewhere for a company bed? You look so comfy in your new home. Real civilized. Enjoy it. Dad says men don't live in a home, they just camp out in it until a they have a woman.

Seth said...

Ooooh!! That is a cute little baby! We never got to see Simeon like that while in the ultrasound. Mostly we got to see his brain, thigh bone, and genitals (that how we knew he was a little boy). But you have like a perfect picture baby here.

Laura said...

Oh, sooo fun! I love before and after pictures!! The bedroom is awesome!!

What an aDORable ultrasound picture!!! So, you're really showing now, huh? Woohoo!! So much fun. :)

Grant said...

We got rid of the futon. No room. Best way to make your house bigger: throw crap away.

We'd get rid of the armchair but it belongs to my old roommate and we are holding on to it for him.

Grant said...

I wish we could see our baby's genitals!

We'll let you know when we know the dang gender. For now we have to refer to our baby using the neutra "it"

Don't worry. We'll post naked picture of our baby soon enough. (Naked pictures from before birth! Baby's have no rights)

Grant said...

No, Ashley is not yet showing. She just can't suck in her stomach. Apparently this baby is located in her leg, where she used to keep the food she downed.

Actually you can tell she's pregnant because she waddles around holding her belly as if it was really large. Here is one girl that really wants to put on some pounds!

She still weighs significantly less than she did when we started dating.

Lybi said...

Congrats on the Farns Bean! Are you SURE you can't see genitals? Looks like a boy to me. Or maybe that's a leg. What's the different, really, in the grand scheme of things? I still predict boy!

Lybi said...

difference...

Rachel said...

I'm not going to say anything about your baby's gender, because I think your whole family more than covered it. But congratulations!