Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Now there's a pillow top...

Before I married Grant, he had some interesting sleeping patterns (I know, ironic this is coming from the person of whom we have photographic evidence sleeping with her eyes open). Although I found most of them unusual, I did learn quickly that these are simply one group of the many quirks and idiosyncrasies that make up the Farns--and you love and appreciate him for them, or you'll never be able to be close to him. There's the odd hours, the black-out curtains, the earplugs but to me what was most comical was his insane quantity of pillows.

The man would just totally barricade himself into that loft surrounded by as many pillows as he had. I was boggled that multiple times in the months we dated he'd pick up another pillow at Wal-Mart on an outing there. I mean--you can only have so many, right?

Well, he uses slightly fewer pillows now...because now he surrounds himself with pillows on one side and a wife on on the other. He'll snuggle up next to me, which is really sweet. And then I get up in the middle of the night to pee (thanks to our friendly, neighborhood fetus) and come back and notice there is literally less than 12 inches of mattress space between him and the edge of the bed I'm going back to. He literally crams us into less than half the bed.

I'm pretty sure one of these days I'll actually fall out.

It's difficult to interpret this as him being a bed hog, because I know it's not about that. He really just wants to be close to me, and that is very sweet. I just hope I still think so when I'm 17 months pregnant with his child. By that point though I think I'll be through with repositioning myself into the nook exactly big enough for my body on that tiny space of mattress and he'll wake up with me on the other half of the bed we're not using.

But I didn't realize just how many pillows we had (and granted, I brought a few into the marriage that had been donated from my old employers when I was a nanny) until I stripped them all to wash all the linens in the house in one fell swoop.

If he used a normal number of pillows, we could literally line enough extra ones over the mattress and slap a cover on it to make our own pillow top.

See for yourself.
He looks cozy though, dudn't he? :) I love that guy.

6 comments:

Kristina said...

Yes, it won't be long before you take up most of the bed and he gets a little corner. Just kidding. But being pregnant is so dang uncomfortable that it is hard to find a good sleeping position. And that insane sense of smell makes snuggling not so fun :) Good luck.

Seth said...

Yes, Kristina told you our story. I have learned through experience that the bed is Kristina's territory and I am the intruder who should feel lucky to get my sad little corner and my scrap of blanket.

This was especially true when she was pregnant and could smell the dead skin cells on my body.

Danielle said...

You're gonna be grateful for those pillows in a couple months when you can't find a decent position to sleep in so you try wedging pillows all over in order to get comfortable. In our house, every one gets one pillow and I get all the rest. :)

Ashley said...

Actually, I finally put real bedding (ie: an actual sheet set that matches and my old comforter with match shams) on the bed and cleaned the floor so I made Grant a nice pile of extra pillows under his bedside table and his side of the bed. I also stashed him an extra blanket there because he insists I steal them in the night.

When I was single, I could make my bed with one hand while brushing my teeth in the morning.

Now that I'm Mrs. The Farns, well...let's say I don't get to do that anymore.

Jacqueline said...

When we visited Grant and I saw all the pillows he had I was quite sure that was his way of coping with the loneliness, stuffing pillows all over. He was never meant to be alone and I was amazed he lasted that long single. I was pretty sure marriage would lower the number of necessary pillows. I forgot the effect his need to be snuggled in a nest would have on you. (You know he used to get 3 & 4 year old Seth out of bed in the night to put in bed with him. He said it was because he was cold). BTW when you are very large pregnant you will need a pillow under the stomach, between the knees and behind the back. Keep them.

Laura said...

Someone lent me a wedge pillow while I was pregnant, and I absolutely LOVED it! I was really bummed, though, when i still needed it for a while after Audrey was born. Somehow I thought your body immediately bounced back after the 1st baby. Humph. You're right, he DOES look comfy. Gotta love pillows!