Sunday, March 1, 2009

Accomplishments

Not to overshadow the life-changing feat of giving birth...

But I've been taking an independent study course through KU over the past year (my plan at this time last year was to return to school in the fall so I took the course to get a head start--it's a general studies course required for just about every major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and several other schools at KU--Introduction to Western Civilization where I've been studying things from Homer to Gallileo). I took the final at the public library 2 weeks before Kendra was born and was soooo relieved to have it behind me.

This week we got the grade back for my final and the course. I really wanted an A. I mean, getting an A in this class pales in comparison to birth but I still really wanted it. My grades when I left school were *ahem* less than stellar we'll say (to be honest, if I had stayed another semester they'd have kicked me out and saved me the trouble of quitting) and I wanted to prove that it's not because I'm not a smart person!

Going into the final, it could have gone either way. I needed an A and a really solid one on the test to get an A in the course. And I was nervous. My teacher and I in our sparse interactions had made it very clear we see things quite differently.

I got a 96% on the final and a solid A in the course.

It's not quite as triumphant as getting a baby out of my body and into the world, but it still feels really good.

Awesome.

4 comments:

Kristina said...

Congrats! It's great to get those finals done. Somehow I always feel more relieved after and IS course is over than I ever did after a course while I was in college :)

Jacqueline said...

Well, congratulations. That grade is stellar. And I bet you took the test with swollen feet. And the hormones of pregnancy turns your brain to oatmeal. Don't know how you did it, but you did. Yeahhhh!

Danielle said...

YAY! Good for you! And I agree with Aunt Jacqueline-- pregnancy decreases your smartness considerably, so you really should have gotten more than 100%.

Laura said...

Sweet! :)