Thursday, August 28, 2008

Let's hear it for my man!

Well, our apartment is very, very far from being picture-ready for the blog, but it is already transformed... We've spent the summer in a little studio I sublet because Grant had a roommate at his place and let's be honest-who on either end of that situation would want to shack up together? But now my lease is about up and Grant's roommate has left the country and his apartment so we're making the move!

While I ran about all morning with various time-consuming far-away errands and came home and napped all afternoon, Grant huffed and puffed all day spending his morning and afternoon working hard on the apartment, making the transition from it being his grad school shared space to his family's first real Home.

That's actually quite a feat, because it involved dismantling the loft bed he made for himself last year. That alone involved sawing through 4 pieces of 4x4 lumber he used as the legs for the bed. He set up and arranged our entire bedroom (putting together our bed and dragging in the dressers and end tables we're using as night stands). He also made the switch from his roommate's room to our office/extra room by dismantling the bed Jonathan left behind (but no 4x4s this time) and bringing all the storage things he had in his bedroom along with his piano and their speakers in.

So he was tossing around furniture all day and doing a LOT of heavy work. Then we went to the other apartment and he just cheerfully kept going like the Energizer Bunny loading up the car and taking it home and unloading it while I packed things up at the studio.

I was really blown away.

He's still sleeping now, but he's totally earned it. Unfortunately, despite all of Grant's hard work our place is far from picture-ready for the blog. He did the heavy lifting and now it's my job to organize! Turns out I like doing that. And Grant likes that I know where everything is. Sometimes when he asks for something the answer is, "On the table" or "By your computer mouse" but my favorite when the answer is more like, "Underneath the case of the DVD we watched last night" or "On the second shelf of the small cabinet behind the Vitamin C".

Watching him work so hard and without complaint was just one of those things that the other person probably doesn't even think about but makes you fall in Love with them all over again.

Being in this place as Grant's wife is an interesting experience...we both look at each other often and say, "We're married...weird." And I know that we actually did get married, but suddenly I'm bringing in all my stuff to his apartment and he's rearranging furniture and it just puts a whole new level of reality on it. We spent most of our time as friends and a couple here and now being here...it's quite surreal.

Of course, most couples go through that as they're moving in before the wedding and settling in after the honeymoon but most of you know that Grant and I are certainly not most couples.

But I do hope all couples have some measure of the Happiness Grant and I have day in and day out...

6 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Give that man a round of applause! And I am so glad that YOU get to arrange things. You are going to like the new larger digs even if you share them with a tarantula and the gerbils. Isn't marriage wonderful!
I can't believe Grant got the loft bed apart. It looked like it could have survived the end of the world. Happy for you both.

Jacqueline said...

PS. I am curious as to whether the garbage bag full of the bodies of tropical roaches made it intact to the dumpster. Good thing to be rid of.

Grant said...

Yup, thank goodness for the deep freeze. We froze the whole thing and then chucked the whole container in the dumpster without opening it. Bye bye roaches. Hello family.

Kristina said...

Ha ha, seth always thinks it is amazing that I know where stuff is, especially when I can it is in a weird place and I can give him specifics. I especially come in handy for finding glasses. That is my official place in the Farnsworth family--The Glasses Finder :P
Anyway, congrats on the new place and the new car and the awesomeness of marriage :P

Grant said...

That's really funny because Ashley is also the keeper of my glasses. I just seriously can't remember where I put them and she always does, no matter where or when I stick them or whether she sees me do it. It's some kind of voodoo magic that girls possess I guess. Ashley knows where everything is all that time, whether it was me or her that last moved it and whether or not she's seen it in that location. It's spooky but amazing.

Yay for wives, and their many talents.

Laura said...

There must be some Farnsworth male thing going on with their glasses! Heber said the same EXACT thing about Debbie - she always knew where his glasses and car keys were. How funny. I can't wait to see pictures of the transformed apt!

So, if the roaches are gone ... is the tarantula going too? How are you going to feed him?