Sunday, August 17, 2008

At long last...

There was somewhat of a public outcry when Grant posted about my sleeping habits and included pictures to boot. He concluded his thoughts on the matter by saying, "I have resolved, at least tentatively, that I will be getting up at the same time as her and toughing it out". I love my husband. Quite, quite dearly. But. The times he actually has gotten out of bed before me have been minimal. And they certainly haven't been the days I've gone into work at 7:00 am. Now, there have been lots of days his insomnia has really given him some grief and kept him up quite late into the night, but I don't remember this being the case the next time I went into work after he posted that. In fact, he was sleeping soundly enough for me to take a picture with out his knowledge as I walked out the door (like it's some great feat).

I feel quite badly for Grant because not only does he struggle with insomnia (usually when he's stressed and there's been a lot of that going on with school) but he's also an incredibly light sleeper. I can sleep through thunderstorms without twitching but it can pull him into consciousness to see what's wrong with me if I so much as change my breathing pattern. So when I approached him yesterday to kiss him goodbye before I went into work and he didn't move, I had to look at his chest to make sure he was breathing and actually alive.

I might sleep with my eyes open, but that's not noticeable if the lights are off. Grant clucks his tongue in his sleep. I know I jerk and moan-but that's normal. Trying to go to sleep to "cluck, cluck, cluck..." is quite a challenge, if I do happen to wake up in the middle of the night. It's been my experience that most people will stop making whatever bothersome noise they're emitting if you simply give them a good nudge, but this is Grant and I don't want to wake him so I just have to wait it out. One night, though it was persistent enough that I sought refuge with my i-pod so I could tune out the dang clucking and get back to sleep.

But besides making fun of each other, we do lots of fun things too. Like go out for really delicious burgers. But the story of how we found them is rather blog-worthy in and of itself. A few weeks ago, Grant had a friend in his department at school who was moving to London and planning to chuck all his furniture and buy new there. Well, he offered Grant anything we'd like to have, but warning us that all of the stuff was really bad and he was just going to throw it away anyway. I'm not sure what this guy's standards are, but we replaced Grant's metal futon with a leather loveseat for free. We also got a whole bedroom set, 2 desks, a shelving unit, end tables, a huge rolling kitchen cart and could have had a dining room table with chairs but it was just too big for our place. We couldn't believe the stuff he gave us was "crap" in his eyes because we're not sure we would have bought new things that nice.

But after a long, sweaty day of dealing with elevator schedules and getting his stuff to our place and another person's house we decided we were all well-deserving of food and beverage. There is a bar/grill type place here in Evanston that offers $1 burgers on Tuesdays after 5pm if you order a beverage. Well, although I'm sure they make the deal to get people to buy the expensive beer, you're also entitled if you get lemonade like me and Grant. This particular arrangement was something Grant had always known about but never actually attended with his friends when they went, mostly out of a distaste for bars. Well. He got schooled. We know that sometimes, in the world of Deals-you get what you pay for. We figured the burgers would be kinda like this, but oh, no. It was just a really good deal. So good we've been back every Tuesday since to enjoy them. Since they're so cheap, you have to pay a little for extras like cheese (75¢) and pickles, tomato or onion (25¢ each). But still, even with my pickles and cheese it's less than $2 for what is normally $7-8 at this establishment. And the fries are good too...

So, even though I don't say much, I am Lovin' the married life, especially because it's with Grant. He's so fun and energetic and excited about everything, he really makes life a ball. And he's doting-I've always, always, always wanted to be doted upon. Many people who have seen us or even just pictures have made comments on how obviously he adores me-of course, I reciprocate those feelings, I'm designed to by nature of being a woman. But the way he cares for, Loves and treats me fills me up to the very tips of my toes.

I am so very, very Happily married.

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

What a sweet post. What more can I say. You two are having a lot of fun being married.

Unknown said...

This is a very happy post for dotting parents to see. Best wishes or a happy forever marriage.

Kristina said...

We used to have Sushi Tuesday in Provo. Looks like you guys have Hamburger Tuesday. That is awesome!

Laura said...

What a great post, Ashley!!! I love it. I'm so glad that Grant dotes on you so much. That means he's a great husband! (But be sure and record it on video, because after 10 years the doting isn't quite as common. Shhh...) What a fun hamburger find! Everything is fun when you have your best friend to discover it with you. I love watching you guys and remembering how stinkin' fun it was to be newlywed. Being married for years is also tons of fun - but it's different. : )