Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Big Day for the Farnsworths!

It's our two month anniversary! Time to celebrate.

We have waited a long time and today several important things happened.

The first is that we got a new addition to the family


Ha ha. For anyone know knows anything about me (Grant), you know I don't really care for cars. Never did, really. Too dangerous and inconvenient. That's why I've been living without one for the last few years. Well, and they cost money. In fact, my driver's licence expired a few months ago, which made it stressful for me to even think about cars. I mean, thinking about cars means I would have to think about taking a dang driving test!

But anyway, I digress. It turns out that married people get cars. That's what we do. And Ashley and I are married. So we went out and bought my dream car. Really. Well technically it would have to be yellow to be my dream car but this satisfies the most important thing colorwise: you can find it in the dang parking lot.

How did we find it? Craigslist. We limited our search to people living close enough to walk to and this little baby popped right up. Finding used stuff is one really nice thing about living in the city (don't get me started on parking, though).

Anyway this is a 2004 Chevy Aveo and we LOOOOOOOVE it. It's amazingly Farnsworth sized. It's peppy and get's great gas mileage. It's interior space is shockingly large, both passenger and storage-wise. And it's so small you can turn it on a dime and park wherever you feel like. Oh such a nice car. And look at that color!

If you will look closely at this picture you will see me holding something else that makes life amazing: a GPS! Yes, we bought a GPS. It was only $150 at walmart and there was no holding us back. Ashley used to use GPS at her work and we were both really taken with it. We'll eat beans for a month in order to have GPS. We are really living the dream, let me tell you.

So the first thing we did was take it to the DMV to get it registered and get me a licence. Well we were super pleased to learn that I didn't have to take a driving test because my license had expired within a year (whew). After much waiting and angst, I am officially an illinois-ian and I can drive. Of course I don't like to, so I made Ashley drive us back anyway. I am real comfortable with so many roles of a father, but driving the cars...it's on an as-needed basis.

Unfortunately the place we went doesn't do licence plates so we will have to go tomorrow to another place. But the DMV we visited was right next to...

WALMART! and Sams club actually too. We went straight over and satisfied a bunch of our pent up demand (which we had because we couldn't freaking shop without a car!). You can't tell, but the trunk on this car is amazingly capacious. We are really stocked on food now, and we did some careful shopping for car stuff: the thing that you put in the windshield to keep the sun off the dashboard, jumper cables, a gas can, a basic tool set. Our car got some nice attention today. We were going to polish it with Ashley's hair but we were afraid of lightning. :)

This purchase happened on the same day as another event: my old roommate moved away. This means the two bedroom apartment where I used to live is available, and we put a bunch of our stuff in the car (yay! we can do that now) and moved it to our new apartment. We are even going to sleep here to make it seem official.

In several ways, we feel so much more married today than we ever did. And it's naaaaaice.

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Two months exactly after our big day and it's suddenly crashing in that we're the Farnsworth Family!

FOR REAL!!

Jacqueline said...

Such a beautiful car!!! Such a beautiful wife!! Such a beautiful family. I bet the inside of your apartment looks better already than it has in years because of the Woman's touch. And Ashley is such a good decorator. Have fun.

Danielle said...

Oooh, that car is pretty. It's almost the color of my Jeep. (And the Jeep is mine. Don't let Caleb tell you otherwise.)

Seth said...

Dude, nice care. I was wrong when I told you we almost bought the same car because yours is a hatchback and we were looking at the non-hathback version. But hatchbacks rule. We settled on a hatchback.

Hey, thats a lot of cereal and microwave popcorn. Aninados!

GPS sounds sweet. In about 10 years I think we will buy one. I saw James' and Libby's and it looked sweet.

--Seth

Jacqueline said...

Looks good to me. A car for Ashley and GPS for Grant (TECHNOLOGY, man!!).

Laura said...

FINALLY!!! It took getting a wife to get you into a car, you cheap scape! Seriously, I can't believe you survived cycling to church in the Chicago winters. It's a sweet lookin' car, too! Sounds like a great, great day: car, GPS, food, bigger apartment, 2 mos anniversary. I like all this domestication of the Farns!! It's ABOUT TIME!!!!!

Ashley said...

Well, Laura, last year from July-Feb he was able to take the train to church because our building was having renovations so we met on the Northwestern campus and he could easily take the train.

But I still picked him up almost all the time this past winter.

Kristina said...

Ha, you think becoming an Illinois-ian is grievous, try becoming a New Mexico resident sometime. So painful! Anyway, I officially HATE the DMV and am sorry that you had to go there. I renew everything I possibly can online or through the mail.
Anyway, fun car. Funny thing that you said it was Farnsworth sized. We test drove an Aveo and in order to have comfortable leg room I felt like I was way to far back from the steering wheel. My arms had to really reach. Seth thought it was fine though :P It's a short legged car :P

Grandma Beanie said...

Ohhhh, I want one. Blue is my favorite color! It looks so cute. Aunt Geneen