Monday, September 3, 2012

The Snuggly Baby

I've mentioned several times that Kendra is much, much more independent than Elliot has been.

Sometimes that manifests itself in sort of draining ways...ways that I feel like make me a better mother, but also a more tired one.  Like how much more of my time I've spent on the floor with him, not getting other things done or how much more of my time I've spent holding him in my arms or in a carrier so I can get things done.

But one way it's always, always been true and that I don't mind at all is how snuggly he is, and that has been so very sweet.  Kendra is loving and kind, but not snuggly.  She gives affection, but in flashes, not for extended periods of time.

Not Elliot.

He didn't really, really start sleeping through the night until he was 10 months old (we kept getting spurts but then regression until then), which was exhausting.  But the last few months, he didn't need to be fed at all.  He would easily go back to sleep if he was just held and soothed for a couple of minutes, but you did have to go do it.

Which means I've spent a lot of time in his life like this:


I just pull him into my arms and he sinks his head onto my shoulder.  And I love it.  I often start singing a particular lullaby to him also, and the song is so attached to this embrace that if I pick him up and start singing it, he'll just lay his head on my shoulder automatically (if he's actually tired, so I only try it if I think he is).

It's been a lot harder to snuggle him this last trimester but he's no less enthusiastic for it.

And I'm okay with that.  In fact, I love it.  While I'm still scared of that crazy newborn phase this baby will bring, I'm really looking forward to having a vacant belly so that I can properly snuggle Elliot again.

I love having a snuggly baby and I intend to savor it while it lasts.

1 comment:

Belkycita said...

It looks as if you two were puzzle pieces and his head fits just perfect right there between your shoulder and neck.
Adorable with glasses!!!!