Thursday, April 9, 2009

Oh Happy Day!

We have hit a milestone every new parent dreeeeeams of. Fondly. Sometimes desperately.

She's 7 weeks old and she
slept through the night. The whole night.

No swing.

No white noise.

Just a really full tummy and a nice cozy blanket swaddled tightly around her. Granted, it was probably because for whatever reason she hadn't been able to sleep for more than an hour at a time all day and was completely wiped out--but hey, I'll take what I can get! It's acttually dawned on me since that she's probably going through a growth spurt and just needs more to eat...

I think it's a cruel joke of nature that a woman can't sleep for a full day straight after giving birth. I mean, come on! Twenty-five hours of labor and two hours of pushing after two nearly sleepless nights in a row and I didn't get to crash for more than a couple of hours when it was all over?! I think mommies (and daddies, for that matter) deserve at least a 12 hour grace period to recuperate before needing to stimulate milk production. Seriously.

We've gotten into a pretty smooth routine of only needing to get up once during the night for some time now. And it was actually ironic because even though she slept the night through, I was up for significant portions of it lying in bed and straining my ears because I was sure she was screaming and I just couldn't hear her.

Turns out, she was doing more snoring than screaming. For nine straight hours. Awesome.

AND--Grant has tomorrow off work so when he comes home tonight he'll stay for three whole days, whoopee!

Oh happy day!

I know it probably won't last...but it's still AWESOME.

4 comments:

Seth said...

Congratulations! I am happy for you. Although just be aware that it may not continue. We hoped it would after it happened for the first time, then he had a bad month after about 1 or 2 good weeks.

But HAPPY DAY! Sleep is good.

Kristina said...

You take whatever you can get and whatever you can get is amazing :) Hope she keeps sleeping well.

Beckie said...

hooray!!!
that's huge. even if it is just for one night.

Laura said...

Sweeeeet!