Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sleeping Schedules

Anyone who has been looking at our facebook statuses or just knows anything about our personal lives and habits before we were married will know that we have some different approaches to sleep. That is to say, the best time of day for me is about the time Ashley starts saying it's time for bed. And she is all chatty in the mornings when either I just listen to her with my eyes closed or stare through bloodshot eyes and wonder how anyone could be cheerful during those horrible morning hours.

The other thing we have noticed is that while I am a chronic insomniac, Ashley sleeps fairly well at night, and during the day. Basically whenever she feels like it. And that has led me to notice that she sleeps with her eyes and mouth quite open. This isn't the most wide open her eyes get but you can get the idea. Sometimes I feel inclined to talk to her, although she doesn't seem exactly happy in this state, so I'm usually asking if something is bothering her.

She's so cute when she's asleep, isn't she? This is a real and bona fide picture of her sleeping.

It looks so satisfying, doesn't it? I've been trying to learn the same skill and see if it might allow me to sleep a little better, if not at times that are more convenient for the family as a whole. I'm trying to take a few lessons. Here we are not fully asleep, but we are trying.

Somehow falling asleep gazing into each other's eyes is so romantic, isn't it?

It's also rather romantic to come home to a wife in bed, although it's slightly less so when it happens every day and you realize she really is just sleeping. This napping ability will come in handy some day when we have infants who are awake every two hours or so. Namely, when they wake up, their light sleeping Dad will go get them and throw them in bed with her to fend for themselves like little piglets. And she will sleep through the whole thing.

I love Ashley when she is napping. Besides being really cute, we have some great conversations, and she never disagrees with me. It's one of the many ways in which our marriage is so strong. :)

She has a new job (part time) which requires her to be at work at 7 AM. Is that cruel or what? Anyway, I have resolved, at least tentatively, that I will be getting up at the same time as her and toughing it out. It's worth it to see her bright eyes in the morning and have her come to kiss me...just before turning away because of my morning breath. We don't kiss in the morning, but the thought is there.

8 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Boy, is she tolerant to let you post sleeping pictures of her. You got a winner there!!!

Laura said...

I have to second Mom's opinion - on both counts! ; ) It is funny the little quirks you have to work out - and you'll find those that remain through your marriage. Mike learned a long time ago to never expect me to be cheerful in the morning, and don't expect to have a conversation for at least an hour. (hee,hee) Sounds like you and I are related, Grant!

Danielle said...

You guys crack me up!

Kristina said...

So how many times have you been whacked after posting this? Oh and I used to be a world class napper too. Then Simeon was born.....

jonibologna said...

so ashley, i'm noticing that grant has got quite a few incriminating photos of you on this blog but yet none have been posted of him... get to work, or shall i say, get REVENGE!! haha. love you guys!!!

jonibologna said...

oh yes and grant, i have a secret for you... you can draw on her face while she sleeps and she wont feel a thing! Trust me I know this first hand.

Lybi said...

Humph. Uncool.

Anonymous said...

I totally saw that same sleepy face one day in the 6th floor Hashinger lobby very late at night/very early one morning.