Sunday, May 15, 2011

Make it better, Daddy...

From the day she was born, it has touched my heart to no limit just how much Grant loves our daughter.  He is a really fantastic father (even if I do say so myself).  He's always happy to see her and his feelings get pretty hurt for an extended period of time if she's in a bad mood when he gets home and doesn't want anything to do with him.

In fact, lately she's been awake when he's been heading out the door and he can barely contain his glee that every time he leaves and we tell her she's not going with him, she breaks down into inconsolable tears.  He does feel bad that she's sad about something, but he loves that she's sad that he's leaving.

And even though I'm the one left behind to soothe the tears, I think it's kinda cute, too.

Last Sunday I sort of squeezed the Mother's Day thing for all it was worth and asked him to take the diapers out because the can had just filled up.  And Kendra gets pretty excited for any opportunity to go for a walk, so she happily accompanied him to the dumpster in the opposite corner of the complex--she doesn't care where she's going, she just likes going for walks.
We put her in some sandals that while cute and functional, occasionally catch on the pavement if she starts really running and can result trips and falls and sent her out the door.  And unfortunately, one of those occasions happened just as they were getting back from the dumpster..while still wearing the skirt from church that morning.  She skinned both of her knees and even bumped her head on the sidewalk, it was very, very sad for all of us.

We cleaned and dressed her little wounds and called up good ole about-to-start-residency Uncle Seth to ask what to look for when littles bang their heads and tried to cheer her up, but she was sad for the rest of the evening.

And while we tried to split the load of comforting her, she was pretty insistent that only Daddy would do most of time.

So he spent the rest of the evening like this:

She stayed in his arms so long she got bedhead.  AND she wasn't even interested in Fruit Chewies.  That's pretty serious business in this house.

Luckily some Tylenol and a good night's sleep made her right as rain the next morning, but she wouldn't budge from his arms for hours.

My heart swelled up and brimmed past capacity with Love for these sweet people who took part in making me a mother and whom I feel so blessed to be able to call my own.  It was a real reminder of what my life is all about, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I could not have even asked for a better Mother's Day present.

2 comments:

Belkycita said...

So sweet!!!

Danielle said...

I love it! There's nothing sweeter than seeing kids love on their daddy. :)